You can use this procedure to first register the dynamic-link library (DLL) that is required for the Active Directory Schema snap-in. You can then add the snap-in to Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
Membership in Domain Admins , or equivalent, is the minimum required to complete this procedure. Review details about using the appropriate accounts and group memberships at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=83477.
To install the Active Directory Schema snap-in
- To open an elevated command prompt, click Start , type command prompt , and then right-click Command Prompt when it appears in the Start menu. Next, click Run as administrator , and then click OK .
To open an elevated command prompt in Windows Server 2012, click Start , type cmd , right click cmd and then click Run as administrator .
- Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
Tip Although the regsvr32 command shows that it is a 32-bit based command, it does run properly in the 64-bit versions of the supported operating systems (see Applies To near the start of this topic). If you do not run the command from an elevated command prompt or if you do not have the appropriate permissions, the following error message appears
The module ‘schmmgmt.dll’ was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80040201.If you see this error message, check the group memberships of the user account that you are using to ensure that the user account is a member of the Schema Admins group. Also, ensure also that you run the command from an elevated command prompt.
- Click Start , click Run , type mmc , and then click OK .
- On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in .
- Under Available snap-ins , click Active Directory Schema , click Add , and then click OK .
- To save this console, on the File menu, click Save .
- In the Save As dialog box, do one of the following:
- To place the snap-in in the Administrative Tools folder, in File name , type a name for the snap-in, and then click Save .
- To save the snap-in to a location other than the Administrative Tools folder, in Save in , navigate to a location for the snap-in. In File name , type a name for the snap-in, and then click Save .