Windows Server 2008 Boot process.
- System is powered on.
- The CMOS loads the BIOS and then runs POST.
- Looks for the MBR on the bootable device.
- Through the MBR the boot sector is located and the BOOTMGR is loaded.
- BOOTMGR looks for active partition.
- BOOTMGR reads the BCD file from the \boot directory on the active partition.
- The BCD (boot configuration database) contains various configuration parameters( this information was previously stored in the boot.ini)
- BOOTMGR transfer control to the Windows Loader (winload.exe) or winresume.exe in case the system was hibernated.
- Winloader loads drivers that are set to start at boot and then transfers the control to the windows kernel.