Gibbon is a free, Open Source, and web-based flexible school management system that can be used to solve real time problems of teachers, students, parents, and educators in different kind of schools. Gibbon allows seamless planing, teaching, and assessment for both teachers and students. It collates every student information, so that every teacher has a clear understanding of each student details such as each student’s attendance, grades, and performance. Based on the results, the teachers can easily understand each student’s ups and downs in each subject, and they can help the students in every possible way.
Be you’re a teacher, student, or parent, Gibbon is an excellent, comprehensive and one-stop-shop efficient tool that makes all information available in one place. Since Gibbon is web-based, the teachers, management persons of the school, and parents can easily and quickly access all student details on the go. Also, It provides easy and timely access to progress and upcoming tasks.
Using Gibbon, the teachers can,
- Create timetables and lesson plans ;
- Share lesson plans to students, and parents ;
- Assign homework ;
- Review and submit marks of home work and exams to both students and parents ;
- Maintain attendance of each student ;
- Send assignments to students ;
- Send assessment of each student’s to their parents ;
- Know each student’s personal details, such as address, gender, DOB, Contact no. ;
- Notify the students or parents about pending fees of every year ;
- Send periodic performance of student’s performance to their parents ;
- Create notes outlining both positive and negative student behaviour ;
- Insert resources directly into lesson plans ;
- Create list of school activities, functions, programs and let students to participate and sign up online ;
- Add Learning Area overviews and other reading materials ;
- Allow students to browse the library ;
- Allow parents to quickly contact staff based on email addresses ;
- And many.
Using Gibbon, the management team of a School can,
- Manage fees, billing schedules and invoices ;
- Send payment reminders to parents ;
- Track payments as they arrive ;
- Generate lists of families who have outstanding payments ;
- Find the personal details of all employees, staffs, teachers, students, and parents ;
- Know the students performance ;
- Know the students grades, attendance, academic performance in all activities ;
- Know the fee structure of each curriculum ;
- Fix the fees structure and share them to other management and staffs ;
- Quickly and easily send messages to staffs, teachers, parents via Email or SMS ;
- Allow members of the public to apply for school places online ;
- Reject and approve applications at any time ;
- And many.
Using Gibbon, the Students can,
- View their academic performance, grades, marks etc. ;
- Get lesson plans, home works, assignment from the respective teachers ;
- View attendance details, and time table of all subjects ;
- Find various learning materials ;
- View and participate school events and programs ;
- View reading materials from school library and teachers ;
The parents can ;
- View their son/daughter marks ,grades, assignments, assessments, and attendance details ;
- View and download application forms ;
- View a particular staff details, such as contact no, Email addresses etc. ;
- Track their son/daughter’s academic and behavioural records ;
- And many.
For complete details Gibbon, look at the features page.
Install LAMP stack
On Ubuntu 15.04:
sudo nano /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini
If you can’t find the location of php.ini, the following command will help to find it.
php -i | grep php.ini
Configuration File (php.ini) Path => /etc Loaded Configuration File => /etc/php.ini
Add or modify the following lines in php.ini file:
file_uploads = On allow_url_fopen = On register_globals = off magic_quotes_gpc = Off set max_input_vars = 5000 dispaly_errors = Off error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE
Save and close the file. Restart Apache service.
Create a new MySQL database and MySQL user for Gibbon on your server.
Log in to MySQL prompt using command: or Use PHP My Admin
mysql -u root -p
Then, run the following commands marked in bold in the MySQL prompt to create Database and user for Gibbon.
MariaDB [(none)]> CREATE DATABASE gibbondb; Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec) MariaDB [(none)]> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON gibbondb.* TO 'gibbonuser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'ubuntu'; Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec) MariaDB [(none)]> FLUSH PRIVILEGES; Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec) MariaDB [(none)]> exit
Download And Install Gibbon
After completing all prerequisites, go to Gibbon download page and get the latest version. As of writing this, the latest version was 9.1.00.
Extract the zip file:
unzip v9.1.00.zip Apt-get install unzip or extract from windows to move here using WinSCP
Move the extracted contents to web root folder.
#Cd /V9.* #mv core-9.1.00 /var/www/gibbon
Set the proper permission to ‘/var/www/gibbon’ directory. (Not necessary)
chown apache:apache -R /var/www/gibbon/
Make sure Gibbon directory as writable. If not, set it writable with command:
chmod 777 /var/www/gibbon/ http://www.unixmen.com/gibbon-a-web-based-flexible-school-management-system/